Enjoying the sights and smells of a real Christmas tree in the house room is an essential part of celebrating the holidays for many. But going to pick out your tree can be an experience all its own. If you’ve gone out into the fields and cut your own Christmas tree at a tree farm, you may be missing out on a new family favorite holiday tradition. Let this year be the year you give it a try! Wrap up warmly, and bring the whole family!
With its rural location, Front Royal is a great starting point from which to access a number of rustic Christmas Tree farms where you can pick out your tree from right where it grew! If you’re interested in enjoying the outdoors, supporting local farms, and knowing exactly where your Christmas tree came from, heading to a cut-your-own farm should be on your Christmas list this year.
Read on to discover the Christmas tree farms of the Front Royal area!
1. Hartland Farm and Orchard is Front Royal’s closest tree farm option. A summer-time favorite for fruit picking, Hartland transforms into a winter wonderland in the month of December. Saws are provided as well as assistance with tree wrapping and loading. Enjoy some free hot chocolate, and don’t forget to check out the wreaths and other decorations on sale. Hartland is conveniently located right off I-66 so it’s easy to get to, but has a less “tucked away” feel than some other local options.
2. For a more rustic option, head south to Valley Star Farm and enjoy scenic views of the Shenandoah Valley on all sides from this “down-in-the-valley” tree farm. It’s the same deal: explore the fields, cut your tree, and they’ll help you with wrapping and loading. Precut trees area also available here, for those who would enjoy a visit to a farm, but aren’t up for tramping out into the fields.
3. Concerned about bringing pesticides into your home on your Christmas Tree? Oak Shade Tree Farm is a great option! This family owned and operated tree farm raises all their trees without the use of pesticides or fertilizers. Enjoy cutting your tree, and don’t forget to check out the fantastic farm store after they help you load. Here you’ll find a wide selection of farm foods and hand crafted items, many of them provided by extended family members. There’s even a fire pit to warm up at on a cold day!
4. Glengary Tree Farm is another option for a simple cut-your-own operation in a stunning location. Explore the hillsides of this farm in search of your perfect tree, and enjoy gorgeous mountain views.
5. If you have a cathedral ceiling or a large space for your Christmas tree, consider stopping by Tranco Farms to find the grand tree that matches your space. All of their trees are over ten foot, so this isn’t a good option if you don’t have a big enough space. Tree cutting is by appointment only, so call ahead to make your plans!
6. Snickers Gap Farm is the celebrity of the Front Royal area’s Christmas tree farms. It was selected as MSN’s best tree farm in Virginia, and has been featured in several prestigious magazines (including Martha Stewart Living). It’s easy to see why. Beautifully kept rows of trees, a wagon ride out to the field, and a snack shack serving hot cider, warm soft pretzels, and more combine for a magical experience. The fame of Snickers Gap farm can draw larger crowds, so if you’re looking for a more secluded option, it may not be your best bet.
Remember most cut-your-own farms expect you to haul your own tree in from the field. So make sure you’re ready for the challenge, and bring extra hands to help if you think you’ll need them. Having a rope or a tarp to help drag the tree can also be helpful. Some farms may be willing to offer assistance, but if you’re counting on it, it’s best to call ahead and make sure you’ll have the help you need.
It’s also a good idea to call the farm you plan on visiting or check their social media before driving. You’ll want to ensure they still have trees available before making the trip.
The Front Royal area is a great place to visit a tree farm and take your Christmas tree shopping experience to a whole new level. Here’s to a memorable family adventure and a beautiful tree to enjoy all season long!
Discover Front Royal